Sunday, October 7, 2012

Handrails R Us


Well I wasn't just lazing around, just too busy to blog. I decided to finish the back wall of the shop, insulation and wallboard, so I could put up my proper shelving and add a bit to useable floor space. It worked out great and since I am working on deck rail top plates and interior handrails the added length was a bonus.


Lots of room for finish planing on rail tops
 Then I decided to make my own handrails for interior stairways. I had one fir 2 x 12 left so I ripped it to 3 inches. Then I ripped each of these into three strips.
Ripping the fir
 Then I stained the middle one and re-glued them for a rough start.
Glueing before routered edges

Clamping
 Now onto something else. I wanted to get the upper window trim done and scaffolding taken down before Thanksgiving when Kyla and Chris would be here.
Just getting started

A little air nailing

The interior pieces first

The final trim and hole filling for paint

After many years it is finally done
 Back to the railing and, oh surprise, you can't get a 16 foot anything up a stairway with a corner at the bottom. Answer, put it in through the window over the motorhome and then through the suite between some unfinished studding, bend it to almost breaking and pull it into place.
Over the motorhome
Bend it through the wall and pull.

Finished rail, now if someone would only do the drywall
Finished to the basement just needs flooring on the left sill
I'll be continuing on window trim now and then onto flooring.

Len










No comments:

Post a Comment