Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First snow and I don't care


So here we are in the middle of October and it is snowing. In the past this would have been something of a concern but since all of the outside is completed it doesn't phase me in the least. It is so nice to be working inside in warmth and comfort.

Just a skiff but more to come over night



A walk in the valley and it's starting to really build up.
My great plans to start flooring have once again been preempted and the living room is full of wood for the rails.  Seems that I am supposed to stay focused on one task at a time. We just disagree on which task that is. I devised a solid method of attaching the rails to the large posts using a 2 inch thick piece of plywood glued and screwed to the post and then dropping the rail from the top down and glueing it in place.

Careful measuring

Secured to post

Rails in and waiting for pickets
 I mass produced 65 pickets with a chamfered edge out of three 14 foot 2 x 10 cedar boards left over in the house package. I still don't know what they were for but I suspect that they were thrown in in case we ran out of facia material. If the house falls down I'll let you know.
Putting a round chamfer to 260 edges

Here they are ready for stain

I also created 8 post caps from the remaining cedar, they are visible in the previous picture.  These will go on the exterior rail posts if the weather warms up a bit.  At $20 a copy from TimBr Mart (yes spelled correctly) I whipped these up in 10 minutes.
Here is my favorite stainer hard at work

She left for Vancouver and left me with some Varathane to put on

I am busy now trying to figure out the stair railing. This would be a lot easier if I had thought about the fireplace clearance to the railing of 4 inches when I was creating the stairway. I am going to talk with the regional district guys tomorrow and see what I can get away with. 
I don't know if Cathryn will appreciate the natural look

So the stair railing is shut down for today but I am up in the loft for it's railing.  I have glued down the joints of the carpet and placed the inside picket molding over the carpet. Now I can cut the pickets to fit and place all the spacers between them as I install them. I will glue and nail the outside molding for a strong finish.
Carpet edging in place
Next was enough spacers for the loft.

A box o' spacers

I brought the saw inside and have created a dust bag that I hope works. Time to put in some pickets.

Len







No comments:

Post a Comment