Monday, August 2, 2010

What's a half inch to a carpenter

Spent the day getting ready for more walls tomorrow.  Turns out one of the walls is 1/2 inch longer than it should be which normally we could absorb somewhere.  In this case however the walls were framed with small 1 1/2 inch spaces for our tie rods to go through. These tie rods will eventually connect from the imbedded concrete bolts to the top of the first floor plates where a nut and washer will suck everything together and keep the house from falling apart I guess.  With the wall a little out I had to spend most of today rebuilding to get everything to fit.  A couple of the photos show the adjustment I made.  This will allow us to actually get everything in and aligned and then place the other 2x6 stud back in afterward.
Not much room to drill a hole and then see through the floor.
Access is better and will be beefed up after assembly of tie rods
There are sixteen holes in all so we want to get this right, you know we could get a tornado you never know.

So I guess this is evidence that I do take a break now and again.  I went to the Airport appreciation day on Saturday and thought I might check the mail.. We were three weeks behind and so three issues of the Free Press including sudoku and crosswords in each edition.  That should fill up some of my free time.  Hoping for lots of progress tomorrow.

Len

1 comment: