Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to work

It's fairly smokey here which has the great effect of blocking some of the suns heat. I've been drilling and placing 12 inch lag bolts from the outside of the house into the posts of the timberframe. Some of it is too tall and I will have to wait for Ross to bring out his big ladder.  This is going to be some big job when we get to the siding.  I'll have to build some scaffolding for the high walls.

One of the finished lags is visible lower left.  All have to be counter-bored to allow the siding to go over top.

One of the lags before I reach around the window and, with a very heavy impact wrench, suck the wall in to the post.
 My next task was to prepare the beam that runs front to back in the garage to hold the floor joists for the garage suite.  I broke 3  3/16 bits and 1  3/8 bit on this sucker.  It's pretty thick and I'm going through at an angle so the screws will be easy to install with a screw gun.

The beam after moving it to a more convenient spot.  It's a lot easier to drill on the ground than when it is in place on the garage.

Holes drilled to anchor each joist.

A parting shot of the orange sun.
So Ross is starting tomorrow and he likes to work in the early hours. We'll be at it at 7:00.  We're going to get the rafters up on the Timbers as soon as possible so I can get the roofers to install and protect the beams. Winter is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment