Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tiling R' Us

I took Sunday off and started organizing the shop. After a full day of work it still looks like a bomb went off in there but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have decided to build a small room for my shop office to keep all the dust from my books and computer. More on that later. A dump run tomorrow will be helpful as well.


I'm really getting my share of tiling in this master bathroom. The shower base was done with thin set mortar for the tiles.  I did have to cut some tiles and found that they were a shale type of stone that separated as soon as you tried to cut them with the diamond disk. It took a number of cuts and clamps before I got enough for the edges.


Mixing more mortar

I'll have to do some cutting on a 45 degree

Tile trim and specialty tools

Ready for grout

Next task was the wall and since it was going to take 3.14 tiles to go from edge to edge I decided to try  them on a 45 degree.  Worked out fine but I had to cut most of the tiles with the grinder since they wouldn't fit in the tile cutter.
Wall started

Front face finished

Tomorrow I tackle the skirts and the inside of the wall. Still waiting for our other shower volume control before I can put up the concrete board for the shower walls. I want to test the plumbing before I cover it over. My luck has been pretty good so far but I don't want to push it.

Len


No comments:

Post a Comment