Sunday, February 3, 2013

More mortar in the master bath

During the week, Len has been preparing the master bath for tiling.  First he had to make some holes through the floor to place the wood support.  Then it was back to mortar.
The post will go through this hole and will be supported  from below

Whoops - that's what you get for mixing mortar with a dollar store spoon

Starting the first layer
Cleverly making sure it is the right height

First layer done, all sloped into the drain


Second layer is a membrane

More mortar on top of the membrane

Final layer done, also appropriately sloping

Posts put into place
Cath

2 comments:

  1. Have you done this before? I've see it on TV and read about it but never done it. Which brings up the question - Of all the stuff you have done to build this house which ones were firsts? Inquiring minds want to know :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, sorry just saw your comment. No, I've never done a shower this way before, although I have tiled lots of walls around bath tubs. I followed what I found on-line and it was pretty straight forward. Firsts? Well, putting up a timberframe for sure! Everything else I have done on a smaller scale - electrical, plumbing, siding, soffits, etc. But the shear size of this project makes everything feel like a first. And dare I say the last as well? Never say never, but I don't plan to take on a similar house project again. As much fun as it is, once is probably enough.

      Delete