Sunday, April 15, 2012

If you don't succeed and blah blah blah


So I've started again on the stair stringers with nice straight and dry planks. They are 2 1/2 by 12 by 16 feet.  They are rough sawn so lots of work to get them to look good and still look a little cabinish.


The slot jig

All of the treads ready for finishing

I did some preliminary work with hand planes
Soon I was using the planer to speed things up

The finished product on the right


Holes for lag bolts 

Giving the edges a round finish

Cath is adding some stain and varnish

Setting the router up to finish the treads

This is what you get after sanding for an hour




The finished product and ready for staining

Now that the stringers are completed I have to stay out of the house as the drywallers don't want any dust in there mud. I don't want any drywall dust in my finish so I will be working on the deck as I assemble the stairs then bring them in for installation. I think they will be quite heavy so I'll have to figure that out when I get there.

Len

1 comment:

  1. Now your talking my language. I think being a post and beam guy would work for me.

    ReplyDelete