Thursday, April 19, 2012

Finally some rail progress

I have been concentrating on the loft rail today. I created a drilling jig for my forstner bit to cut square to the face for proper alignment of the oak pins that I will use to attach this post and the rail above it.

The jig ready to go after it is screwed down

The post ready to accept the pins

The post glued in place

Three posts, the middle one shorter

Prepping the rail

A dadoed slot for the spindles

The rail in place
Tomorrow I will attach the ends of the rail to the corner posts.  The drywall is complete in the kitchen, laundry, office and powder room so lots of painting to get done.  Cathryn will be back from a work trip tomorrow but too late to do any painting.  I'll keep her busy on the weekend.

Len

1 comment:

  1. Loving the rail - fond memories.
    Speaking of fond memories - our parallel story - April 19: Day 3: Hike South Canyon - Visit Redwall Cavern -

    As I mentioned where I am in your blog - Sarah asked what the Colorado River trip cost ($9K) and suggested that would buy a foundation for our new home.

    What a hoot - in a few years we could trade places - a week later you could be playing banjo in Black Tail Canyon and I could be learning to operate a back hoe. :-)

    ReplyDelete