Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Out of my comfort zone

Yesterday we started putting up the ceiling fir.  It is quite the job and unfortunately, it requires two people for some of the more stubborn boards.    Thus the title of this blog.  Now would be an EXCELLENT time for someone to visit/help.  Someone who isn't afraid of heights, which lets most of my family off the hook.

Looks like fun
 Meanwhile, I used a dreary day as an excuse to bake my first batch of cinnamon buns.  I used the bread maker for the dough and chose a very high fat, high cal version to make sure it was good and gooey.
Lots of pecans and a few raisins, lots of butter and brown sugar
 But I digress....back to the work at hand.  Here is how far we got the first day.  It took some figuring out, and I had to put varathane on each board.  Len also opted to cut the ends of the boards at 30 degrees so they fit together well.  And also, we realized we weren't going to be able to work with 14 ft. lengths so the long ones had to be cut into 2 or 3 smaller pieces.  All this takes time.

 Today we  cut and finished most of the pile we had brought in and hauled it all up to the loft.

Len cutting, my finished boards are leaning on the scaffold
Assembly line
 Then Len got busy putting together his false floor over the stairwell so we can put the scaffold up to the highest point of the roof.
Clamps and straps - no nails into the posts or beams


Cleverly placed floor joists

Plywood completes the floor

No way up except the ladder (rats!)

The false floor from the top
 We managed to get the first section 99% done.
Working on the last row

Len off to modify some boards - looks like he enjoys the ladder business

First section done
 By dinner time, the rain had begun to fall and overflow our plugged rain gutter.
Another excellent use for the ladder
Len tells me that I will need to join him up the ladder and up the scaffold tomorrow.  Anyone planning a quick visit???

1 comment:

  1. I would if I could but my time machine is jammed. So sorry! Really !!!

    ReplyDelete