Saturday, July 6, 2013

A woodshed to match the house

The kids are out for a few days and they always come expecting to do something.  We didn't want to disappoint them so we decided to start the woodshed.

Making bases for the posts

Concrete going in

Finished with sonna tube posts in place

I had some large 6 x 6 posts from our trees and they became the foundation
 We are trying to use up the left over lumber for this project and that is where the floor joists are coming from.  I had some 2 x 12s left over as well as 2 x 10s and 2 x 8s. All of these were put through the table saw to get a bunch of 2 x 6s. I made just enough with some left over for the roof.
Soon the floor joists were in place

A test was done and the structure was deemed safe
 Michael and Kyla have gone home and so I am starting the floor. We had some planks left over from milling our trees and they will work fine for floorboards. I left a space between the planks for ventilation.
Rough cut planks all nailed in place

Next step to cut the planks flush with ends.
I am using up some 2 x 10 cedar cut to 2 x 3 for all the wall framing. Since the walls at the wood storage end will have slats for drying it will be good to have cedar as it weathers much better than spruce or fir.
First wall is up on the west end

This is the back wall

This will be the dividing wall 

I wanted to have storage for the snowblower, chain saws, weed wacker, fuel and pressure washer. I'll probably hang a few axes, and some garden tools inside.  I am going to hang a couple of large ladders on the back as well.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment