Friday, May 10, 2013

Nice weather, time to finish the deck railing


Take a bunch of raw lumber and spend a couple of hours putting it through the planer and you end up with some nice looking fir.


Once it's planed to thickness I cleaned up the edges with the hand planer. Then it was time to carve out the underside so that it will fit over the 2 x 4 rail I have now.
 
I think I have worn out my dado blade on all this fir
Next job was to clean up the groove and fit the plank for length ready for install

All the straight pieces are in and just require a little finishing on the edge
A final routering for character and voila ready for varethane

 The big job will be creating a round top for the deck bump-out
First a good clamping with biscuit joints and glue

I have started trimming to get rid of some of the weight

Here is the final fitting and draw underneath for the 2 x 4 cutout
Trimmed and ready to router, note the lines after tracing the 2 x 4

Routered, time to install


Finishing the roundy bit
A little more varethane and she's all done. That took four days hmmm. I am doing a bit more drywall in the shop to continue with the cleanup and organisation.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment